Thursday, October 11, 2007

Interview with Dan Alexander Part 3

Here is a picture of me and Dan after the game he broke the record for most rushing touchdowns in a game.


7. Your son Braxton was totally healthy when he was born, but he’s a miracle child. Can you briefly explain?
Braxton was very much a blessing from God. Amy and I had been told it would be very difficult for us to have kids, maybe even impossible. But we decided to try anyway and after a short time of frustration we decided to put it in Gods hands and then started looking into adoption. But just before we sent off our first application we found out that Amy was pregnant. We are glad God has blessed us with Braxton, while still leaving our hearts open to adopting another child in the future. Also Braxton was 3 weeks pre-mature because of complications but has been completely healthy and happy so far, Praise the Lord!


8. As a college player at Nebraska you were a 4-time Academic All-Big 12, and the only Husker ever to be named to all four Brook Berringer Citizenship Teams. What is the Brook Berringer Citizenship Team?
The Brook Berringer citizenship team is an award given in the honor of a UN Husker Quarterback who was very active in the community in and around Nebraska. He tragically died in an airplane crash. It was a great honor to me to have my name associated with such a great man as Brook Berringer. In this day and age with so many negative things being publicized about athletes there should be more emphasis put on the positive things athletes do off the field, and in the community.


9. What current or retired athlete ( in any sport ) do you most respect because of both their talent & achievements, their character, and their contributions and influence off the field?
There are a ton of great men out there in pro sports. I have heard about many great people throughout history but i would like to lift up the players I have met in the NFL who I have known personally and can vouch for. Once I get to know another man, I ask myself one question about them. "would I want this guy to date one of my sisters and/or my daughter? (If I had a daughter)". The Men in the NFL or AFL I have said "Yes" to are.

When I was with the Titans 2001-2002: Chris Sanders, Derrick Mason, Kevin Dyson, Kevin Carter, Michael Booker, Erron Kinney, Joe Salave'a, John Simon

When I was with the Jaguars 2002-2003: Mark Brunell, Kyle Brady, Maurice Williams, Donovan Darius, Joe Tuipala

When I was with the Rams 2003: Kurt Warner

With the Kats 2005-present: Ryan Roth, Cornelius Bonner, Keon Raymond, Anthony Herron, Ahmad Hawkins, Frank Carter

The longer I was with a team the more guys I was able to get to know well, so if someone is not on this list from those teams during the years I was there that doesn't mean I don't respect them , it just might mean I did not get to know them well. There are many other great men of God in pro sports but these all have been tremendous community servants, good husbands, good fathers, and good football players. I respect them because of the their hearts and minds not necessarily because of their athletic ability. These are the guys i want everyone to root for.

1 comment:

Margie said...

This is an amazing interview. I have enjoyed reading all of the parts. I wish more pro athletes were like Dan Alexander.